popular Holistic Healing Reference Book:
Nutrients ~ Essential
1. A supplement blend of A, C, E, plus the minerals selenium and Zinc (If looking for an allergy friendly brand (including wheat and dairy free) try ACES + Zn from Carlson Labs). Use as directed on label.
2. Vitamin A plus carotenoid complex (betatene). Helps inflamed mucus membranes and strengthens the immune system. 15, 000 IU daily, DO NOT exceed 10,000 IU if pregnant.
3. Vitamin C with bioflavonoids (5,000 – 20,000 mg daily in divided doses). Fights cold viruses. For children use buffered vitamin C or calcium ascorbate.
Nutrients ~ Important
1. Free Form amino acid plus N-acetylcysteine. (use as directed on label). To supply needed protein for healing. The N-acetylcysteine is a powerful antioxidant.
2. Garlic capsules. Kyolic is a great brand. Check your local natural foods store. (Use as directed on label). A natural antibiotic and immune system enhancer.
3. L-lysine. 500 mg daily on an empty stomach, take with water or juice. Do not take with milk. Take with 50 mg vitamin B6 and 100 mg vitamin C for better absorption. Aids in destroying viruses and preventing cold sores. Caution: do not take lysine for longer than 6 months at at time.
Nutrients ~ Helpful
1. Multi-Vitamin: (dosage: as directed on label)
3. Olive leaf extract. (dosage: as directed on label)
1. Sip hot liquids such as turkey, chicken or vegetable broth. Drink potato peel broth twice a day – make it fresh daily. You can add a carrot, celery, garlic and/or onions.
2. Remain as active as possible. Not only is staying in bed for ordinary sniffles unnecessary, but it will probably make you feel worse; moving around helps loosen built-up phlegm. If you have a fever, do not engage in excess activity or exercise.
3. Wash your hands often & flush facial tissues. Remove aggravating food from your diet, such as dairy, wheat, sugar, and alcohol. Increase healing foods such as fresh, organic fruits and vegetables. Include these in smoothies.
1. Elderberry is recommended for upper respiratory tract infections and headaches associated with colds. It promotes sweating and can help to break a fever. Research has found that elderberry is effective against colds because it contains antioxidant flavonoids that protect cell walls against foreign substances.
2. Eucalyptus oil is helpful for relieving congestion. Put 5 drops in a hot bath or put 6 drops in 2 cups boiling water and inhale the stream. Add 3 drops of oil to lotion and rub on chest and back before bed.
3. For sore throat add 3 – 6 drops of pure tea tree oil to water and gargle. Repeat this up to three times per day. Take up to 2 tea tree oil lozenges and allow them to dissolve slowly in your mouth.
4. Ginger, pau d’arco, slippery elm, and yarrow tea can calm the common cold. Hyssop an evergreen that can be taken as tea, acts as an expectorant and has antiviral properties. Mullein is useful for coughs and congestion. Red clover helps clear accumulated toxins in the lymphatic system that may cause congestion and inflammation. (For making a tea, add 1 teaspoon of dried herb to 8 oz boiling water).
1. Do not take sage if you suffer from any type of seizure disorder or pregnant/nursing.
2. Do not take goldenseal internally on a daily basis for more than one week at a time. Do not use during pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding, use with caution if you are allergic to rageweed. If you have a history of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or glaucoma, use it only under a doctor’s supervision.
3. Talk with your holistic healer or medical doctor before taking ANY herbs while pregnant or breastfeeding. Some can be very dangerous to your baby!
1. Colds are inconvenient, but with healing foods, herbs, and positive energy, you can kick the virus sooner than later and be back to your active self.
2. Love your body – cherish yourself and treat your body and health as you would if you were taking care of another. Respect your body and provide nurturing, healing foods, be empathetic and refrain from directing anger and negative energy within. Stress, anxiety and negative energy will only break down your body, destroy your healing anddamage your immune system. Work with your body, love your body…it’s the only one you’ve got!