Bottomless you say…well you naughty little pie. Where is your crust? Truth be told, I’m still working on my own SCD pie crust and didn’t want to wait any longer to share this recipe with you. I do love crust, but this pie still rocks bottomless. If you’re a crust lover like me, then check out the crust recipe links below.
After my friend Laura, from Gluten Free Pantry, made her no-bake vegan key lime pie, I started dreaming about it and wanted to make a SCD version. I’m trying to “beef up” my SCD dessert list here. The only thickener allowed on SCD (aside from eggs) is gelatin. Luckily, it works just perfect for this recipe. I did try this recipe with eggs, but it was too eggy for my taste and didn’t set up quite right. If you like tart, well this dessert if for you. I LOVE tart, it’s my favorite (far more than the sweet, sweet chocolaty stuff my husband devours). The coconut cream is so sweet with a hint of lemon, and the light texture balances the thick tart lime filling. I’m in love with this. Thank you Laura for the inspiration!
- To food processor add:
- Lime juice, honey and avocado. Blend until well incorporated.
- Empty mixture in glass bowl.
- Add gelatin and whisk until incorporated
- Heat coconut milk on stove top (do not boil) and add to
- lime juice mixture. Whisk until well incorporated,
- Pour into pie dish (with or without a crust) and place in refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- After the mixture has set, top with whipped lemon coconut cream
Coconut Whipped Topping:
- To a glass bowl add the honey, vanilla and lemon flavor. Mix.
- Scoop out the coconut cream and add to the bowl.
- Mix on high with hand-held mixer until well incorporated.
- Quickly top pie and place back in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
*Add the whipped coconut cream when the lime filling is completely firm (in fridge for at least 8 hours).
*SCD Legal Crusts: Honey Gram Cracker Crust, Dan's Awesome Pie Crust, Vegan Raw Pie Crust, Deep Dish Pie Crust