Scott and I had fun making this for dinner over the weekend. We were out of town for our actual anniversary, which was nice because we had plenty of family around to watch the kids while we snuck out to a movie. We saw Snow White and the Huntsmen. Pretty good film, definitely a great choice for the big screen.
As you know my sweet husband loves his chocolate, so I wanted to make him some fun chocolaty things for our 10 year anniversary, this mole sauce being one of them. I’ve only had mole once, and I really liked it. I knew Scott would like it too. We worked the spices as best we could to get a really flavorful sauce. He wanted me to go heavy on the chocolate (big surprise) and so I put in two tablespoons. Also, we made this void of any detectable *hot * spice for the kids (so I recommend adding your own). Happy anniversary to my amazing husband. I love you!!
|Engaged in Hawaii: 2000 (I really miss his long hair)!|
|Married Tahoe California: 2002|
Okay, back to the food…
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Oil of choice
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1 small red pepper, chopped (or other pepper, perhaps one with spice)
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 or 2 tablespoons dried raisins or cranberries (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules (or 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons ground cacao (or other chocolate of choice and to taste)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1 cup filtered water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, and coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- optional ground cayenne for heat to taste
- On medium high heat, saute onion with ½ teaspoon salt until translucent. Add pepper and saute until soft.
- Add garlic, tomato, and optional raisins/cranberries. Saute for about a minute.
- Add all the spices, stir
- Add in cacao and coconut sugar, stir
- Add water and bring to a boil
- Turn down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add ground pepper to taste, the additional ¼ teaspoon salt, and optional cayenne.
- Blend sauce via your preferred method and transfer back into pot
- Add chicken and incorporate with sauce. Allow flavors to meld for a bit. Serve hot with grilled veggies, avocado, fresh cilantro, and vegan cashew sour cream.