-1 medium yellow onion, small chop
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-4 cups cooked broccoli (I used baby broccoli)
-1/2 cup chopped zucchini
-2 cups cashew milk* (see below notes for water-cashew ratio)
-2 cups filtered water or homemade stock (I used water)
-1/2 teaspoons garlic granules
-Lemon and pepper for garnish/to taste
-Preferred oil (enough to coat pot)
1. Steam broccoli until just tender, set aside
2. Add oil, onions, zucchini and salt to pot and saute for 3-5 minutes
3. Add broccoli and garlic granules, saute for a few minutes
4. Add cashew milk and water (or broth)
5. Bring to a gentle simmer
6. Simmer until mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes
7. Remove from heat and carefully ladle into blender (I use a Vitamix) and blend until incorporated (or your desired consistency)
8. Serve warm with pepper, and fresh lemon juice is a must!
* For cashew milk: soak 1 cup of cashews in filtered water 4 to 8 hours. Drain, rinse, and blend with 3 cups filtered water (I use a Vitamix). Poor into glass jar and store in fridge up to 4 days.
I’ll be sharing more about my healing journey with Crohn’s disease, and I believe a post is in order sharing WHAT to eat during a flare. This is a difficult time for IBD sufferers – what you put in your body can either heal or exacerbate symptoms. So I’m putting together what I call, “The Flare Diet.” Some easy to prepare SCD legal dishes to eat during a flare (something that really helped me this time around). So stayed tuned for that. I would love to hear from the IBD community (if you’re out there). How are you? Where are you at in your healing journey? Do you care for someone with IBD? If so, how do you find support?
I wish you well and thanks for listening!
Okay, after all this serious talk, I think we need a little laugh. Here’s another funny video from Genevieve. I love her!
Just Another Meatless Monday, Melt in your Mouth Mondays, Monday Mania, Ruth’s Real Food 101 (Mondays), Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Fat Tuesdays Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Whole Food Wednesdays, Pennywise Platter Thursdays, Wellness Weekend , Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Fridays, Lunch Box Love Fridays , Fight Back Friday, Friday Food, Sunday Night Soup