Okay, I know...what am I doing with STEW when we are still burning up here in Northern California! The fact is, this is the most delicious meal and a family favorite. Hot weather or not, I make it and we all eat it up like maniacs!
-1/2 red onion, diced
-2 carrots, chopped
-1 large sweet potato, chopped
-2 cups cherry tomatoes, halfed
-3 cups cooked red beans
-1 can full fat coconut milk
-1 cup water (or broth of choice)
-1 low-sodium vegetable boullion cube (optional)
-2 tablespoons green curry paste
-1/4 teaspoon Jamaican allspice
-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
-1 1/2 tablespoons garlic granules
-Salt for seasoning and to taste
-A few turns of the pepper grinder
-2 tablespoons tapioca starch for thickening stew (or preferred thickener)
1. Add oil and a touch of salt to a large pot such as a dutch oven and saute onions for a few minutes. Add carrots, sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, beans and saute together; add a pinch more salt.
2. Add allspice, garlic granules, curry paste, thyme, and pepper to vegetables and combine until cozy and beautiful
3. Add coconut milk and water and bring to a boil. Add in vegetable bullion cube and turn to low and simmer.
4. Cook covered for about 45 mins or until sweet potatoes are tender.
5. In a small bowl add 4 tablespoons of the hot liquid with 2 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch. Add back into pot and incorporate.
6. Turn off heat and let sit for a bit before serving
-2 cups brown basmati rice
-2 cups full fat coconut milk
-2 cups water
-Oil of choice
-Dash of salt
1. Bring rice, coconut milk, water, oil and salt to a boil
2. Turn to low and cover for 35-40 minutes
*Add red pepper flakes for additional spice
*Garnish with dried thyme
*This meal would also taste great with a meat of choice. If using raw meat, cook with onions. If cooked meat, add with the other vegetable ingredients and combine with spice...add more liquid to this dish if using meat, I would add equal parts water and coconut milk