This month's Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free recipe carnival is hosted by Mrs. Ed's Research and Recipes.
I was recently introduced to Mrs. Ed's blog by Shirley @ GFE. Among other things, Mrs. Ed's blog is dedicated to recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and she has a fantastic recipe index. I was so thankful for this reference and Mrs. Ed's wonderful information. So keeping in theme with the SCD, I created a fun twist on traditional hummus by using lentils. Lentils are legal on the SCD if prepared properly. Breaking the Vicious Cycle recommends soaking lentils to remove indigestible sugars (up to 6 hours is fine). Chickpeas are illegal on this diet, so lentils make a great substitute for hummus. And you know I'm insane over garlic so of course I threw in a ton.
I always have dip in the fridge. I snack on it throughout the day, and all you busy mommies out there know how easy it is to forget to feed yourself - and feed yourself healthy food! Here are some other fun (not necessarily SCD dips I love to make during the week):
Have dip...will have dippers!
In all honesty, my favorite dippers are fresh fruit or vegetables. Simple carrot and celery sticks, sliced apple, dehydrated bananas, etc. I also LOVE Kohlrabi (although this is illegal on the SCD) it doesn't bother me at all at this time. When I start the diet I will see how it works with my system as I progress. But for now it's a fave.
-1/4 cup tahini
-1/4 cup lemon juice
-1/2 cup roasted garlic (or 2 teaspoons garlic granules)
-1/2 teapsoon salt
-1/3 cup oil of choice (more if needed)
1. To prepare lentils: soak 1 cup lentils up to 6 hours. After the soak, discard water. Cook lentils with 1 1/2 cups water (bring to boil then cover for about 15 minutes) until water is absorbed.
2. In food processor fitted with the s-blade, blend cooled lentils, tahini, lemon, garlic and salt.
3. Drizzle in oil, add more if needed
4. Garnish with dried apricots and pine nuts - this hummus is super yummy with the contrasting flavor of dried apricots!
5. Store in airtight container in fridge.
Fat Tuesdays, Traditional Tuesdays, Wellness Weekend & Pennywise Platter