Pie Filling Ingredients:
-1 pound seeded black cherries
-1 pound strawberries
-1/4 cup honey (vegans use 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup)
-3 dates, seeded and chopped
-1/4 cup orange juice
-1/3 cup cool water
-1 packet of gelatin which is 1 tablespoon (vegans use guar gum)*
1. Wash and trim strawberries. Wash and seed cherries (see below for how I seed cherries).
2. To a medium sauce pan, add strawberries, cherries, honey, chopped dates, and orange juice. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove pot from heat. In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup cool water with 1 packet of gelatin. Pour gelatin into hot berry mixture. Stir to incorporate. You will see it start to thicken up a bit.
4. Pour hot berry mixture into baked pie crust (you will have some leftover, so don’t overfill crust. This leftover mixture makes a tasty jello, so place in a small glass container and store in fridge, when firm, top with cashew cream for a yummy snack).
5. Allow pie mixture to cool at room temperature. When cool, place in fridge and allow to set up for at least 4 hours.
6. Top with cashew cream and serve.
-I used this cookie recipe for the crust (omit cacao for SCD and add 2 tablespoons coconut flour)
-It helps to oil the entire glass pie dish, line the bottom with wax or parchment paper, then push in the dough. Poke some holes in the bottom of the crust before baking. Bake 375 for 12 minutes. See notes for additional crust recipes.
Cashew Cream Topping:
-2 cups cashews soaked for 4-6 hours
-1/4 cup coconut oil
-1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
-1/3 cup honey (vegans use agave or maple syrup)
-3/4 cup liquid + more to blend up properly (you can use date sweetened water, nut milk or just plain water for the liquid).
-2 tablespoons vegetable glycerine (optional)
-1 teaspoon lemon flavor (optional)
1. In high speed blender, blend above ingredients. Add the initial 3/4 cup liquid and blend. Add more liquid until a soft, creamy texture is acheived.
2. Transfer into glass storage and place in fridge for at least 4 hours (this mixture will thicken in the fridge)
3. Top pie
*As a general rule, if a recipe calls for 1 packet of gelatin, vegans can substitute 3/4 teaspoon of guar gum. This resource says to replace gelatin with guar gum at a ratio of 1 part guar gum for every 5 parts gelatin (e.g., 1/2 teaspoon guar gum will replace 2 1/2 teaspoons gelatin).
*Additional SCD crust recipes: (1) Honey Gram Cracker Crust, (2) Dan’s Awesome Pie Crust, (3) Vegan Raw Pie Crust, (4) Deep Dish Pie Crust