One dish I really miss on SCD is Spanish rice. We are some HUGE taquería lovers in this house, and I have to say, it's one of my favorite cuisines. I never, ever get tired of it. Once a week we have a fun taquería night with all the fixins'. Rice has been bothering my digestion (so obvious why grains are not allowed on the SCD). So I created a grain free Spanish "rice" dish that was a tasty alternative to the traditional version. It's made with cauliflower. And while the texture is different, it was pretty simple getting all those great Spanish flavors in there.
-2 medium/small heads of cauliflower, cut cored, and washed
-1 small yellow onion, diced
-3 roma tomatoes
-1 green pepper (optional)
-2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning* (use less for children)
-2 teaspoons garlic granules-1/2 teaspoons salt
-1/2 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
-Few turns of the pepper grinder
-1/4 cup oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Mix above ingredients in your favorite roasting dish.
2. Roast for 25-30 minutes
3. Allow to cool a while (make sure it's not steaming
for step 4).
4. Put half the mixture in a food processor and pulse a few times. Careful to not over mix, you are simply creating a rice look to the mixture, not a puree. You could probably do this by hand too, so try it out if you don't want to lug out the food processor.
5. Pulse the remaining half of the mixture until rice-like.
6. Garnish with cilantro and a squirt of lime.
*You can find Mexican or Fiesta seasoning at any grocery store. Or make your own from spices in you bulk foods section.
Served the "rice"
Shared on: Just Another Meatless Monday, Melt in your Mouth Mondays, Monday Mania, Ruth's Real Food 101 (Mondays), Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Kids in the Kitchen Tuesdays , Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Pennywise Platter Thursdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Wellness Weekend, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Fridays, Friday Food, Feed Your Soul Friday, Fight Back Friday, Lunchbox Love Friday Potluck Party Friday, Friday Food Fix