Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Double Chocolate Hazelnut Coconut Cookies (grain free, dairy free, cane-sugar free)
Once in a blue moon I crave chocolate like a crazy person. This makes my chocoholic husband insanely happy. These little double chocolate cookies really hit the spot. Dates give this cookie a nice chewy, soft texture. Generally I use almonds or walnuts as the base ingredient in grain free baking. But I had some lonely little hazelnuts in the fridge just waiting for their turn. Hazelnuts and chocolate? Fuggedaboutit.
-1 cup whole raw hazelnuts*
-1/3 cup whole raw almonds*
-1/4 cup coconut flour
-1/4 cup raw organic cacao
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-6 dried medjool dates (pitted and soaked in filtered water for about 3-4 hours)
-1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
-3 or 4 tablespoons honey
Preheat oven to 375
1. In food processor with s-blade, grind hazelnuts until coarse.
2. Add almonds and blend until nuts release just a bit of oil.
3. Add coconut flour, pulse. Add cacao, pulse.
4. Add baking soda and salt, pulse, pulse, pulse.
(the dry mixture should feel like a fine flour).
5. Transfer dry ingredients to a bowl. Clean out food processor.
6. In food processor with s-blade, add strained dates, coconut oil, vanilla, and honey and blend until incorporated.
7. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix.
8. Form small balls and press down into cookie shape
9. Bake for 12 minutes.
10. When cool, top cookies with melted chocolate. I use this chocolate bar (extreme dark chocolate 88%). It’s cane-sugar free (sweetened only with filtered date sugar) and dairy free. It does contain soy lecithin.
*Soak and dehydrate nuts for optimal digestion
Shared on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Pennywise Platter, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Traditional Tuesdays, The Healthy Home Economist, Fat Tuesdays, Ruth’s Real Food: 101, Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Melt in your Mouth Mondays, Lunch Box Love Fridays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Whole Food Wednesdays, Wellness Weekend, Allergy-Friendly Friday, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Fridays, & Superfood Sunday