I wanted to make a fall-inspired snack for my kiddos this week…and they LOVE apple cinnamon anything, so some yummy apple cinnamon mini muffins fit the bill. I find that mini muffins are perfect for snack time – they are easy to pack and easy to eat. I prefer to make muffins with almond flour, as one cup of almond flour has 20 grams of protein! I love that my kiddos are getting a good protein surge for their morning snack (not to mention all those good fats) to hold them over until lunch. I’m excited about more apple recipes in the coming weeks, especially this one from Ricki Heller. I hope everyone is having a great fall so far. I’ve got my Halloween costume all set and ready to party. Woot-woot.
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup oil (I use coconut or walnut)
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cup almond flour (230 grams)
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup diced apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel and dice apple of your choice. I like Granny Smith.
- Mix together all the above dry ingredients, making sure to mix out any large clumps of almond flour.
- Mix together all the above wet ingredients. The apple sauce is optional.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Add in 1 or 2 tablespoons of water if you feel the batter is too thick.
- Fold in diced apples and mix the batter well.
- Rub a small amount of oil in each muffin tin.
- I use a medium ice scream scoop to fill each muffin tin.
- If you like extra sweet, you can top each muffin with a little coconut sugar.
- Bake on the top rack in 350 degree oven for 12 minutes exactly.
- Remove muffins from oven and immediately take out of tin and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
2. You can use a different oil, but I love how coconut oil keeps the muffins nice and moist!
3. I mix manually, no hand mixer needed for this sort of batter.
4. The medium ice scream scoop holds 1½ tablespoons of batter.
5. You can use 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice instead of just plain cinnamon and ginger.
6. You can add in ¼ cup apple sauce, but you will have to bake longer, about 4 additional minutes.
7. Mini muffin pan.
This recipe shared on the following link parties: Allergy-Free Wednesday, Savoring Saturdays