My local Natural Food Coop has been making a fiesta quinoa salad for years (10+). I ate it like crazy when it first showed up in the deli and would also pick some up for potlucks or for dinner. A few years ago I started making it myself. I remember it was a blistering hot summer, and for weeks it was over 100 degrees and I refused to turn on my oven for most of it. Like most summers, we live off of cool meals such as avocado mint soup, salads galore, raw treats and homemade ice cream. This quinoa salad is super refreshing and it’s a favorite among my family and friends. Maybe this dish will make an appearance at your next party…or for dinner one hot summer night. xo, –Amber
- 2 cups uncooked red quinoa and 3 cups of water.
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped sweet pepper
- ½ cup green onions, include the white and green part
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cups cooked corn
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 or 2 ripe diced avocados
- ½ cup diced mango (optional)
- ¼ cup walnut oil (or other oil of choice)
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon/lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika (optional)
- Start by soaking and rinsing the uncooked quinoa. To a large saucepan, add the quinoa and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn to low and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes. Then remove from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and allow it to cool. Then add in all the other ingredients. For the cilantro, add in enough to your liking.
- Mix together the dressing and add to the salad. Mix well.
- I recommend making this salad 8 to 12 hours before serving. This give the flavors time to marinate. If I am going to a potluck, I make this the night before and it's good to go the next day.
*You can use any color quinoa, I just love the red festive variety.
*I like to use an equal amount of both lemons and limes for this dressing, but you could use one or the other for your ½ cup of juice.
This post was shared on the following link parties: Mix it up Monday, Busy Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Keep it Simple, Munching Mondays, Amaze me Mondays, Show and Tell Tuesday Link Party, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursday