This lasagna recipe came about after making Kelly's lasagna many, many times. I love her recipe, but wanted a vegan version. Cashews are the answer! I love cashews, they are a dairy-free girl's best friend. They really mimic the flavor and texture of cheese. I'm excited to share this recipe with you because it's honestly super delicious. My husband LOVES this lasagna. And it takes no longer to make than traditional. The most annoying part for me though is the noodles. They take so long to boil and I only do a few at a time. I've tried using those no-bake noodles, but I don't recommend them. But other than that, everything comes to together nice and quick. And the key to any lasagna (as you might know) is allowing it enough time to cool before serving. The lasagna you see here was cooling for at least an hour. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as we do.
-Gluten Free Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles. I use about 12 total noodles. (I think this brand is the best).
-1 batch cashew cheese filling (recipe here).
-Homemade marinara sauce (recipe here). You could also use store bought marinara, just try and find low sodium
-Optional (Daiya shredded "cheese" on top for presentation)
Preheat over to 375
1. You honestly make this lasagna like any other regular lasagna.
2. Make the marinara sauce.
3. Make the cheese filling.
4. I use a 15x10x2 inch Pyrex baking dish. I start with some sauce and cheese on the bottom of the dish, then start layering noodles, cheese, sauce, noodles, cheese, sauce, etc. I just swirl the cheese and sauce together in each layer, you want nice thick coating so the noodles don't get dried out. The cashew cheese will thicken quite a bit while baking and will "puff" up.
5. You can finish the layers by adding some dairy free cheese shreds on top, but this is totally optional.
6. Bake covered (I don't use foil in my kitchen, so I use a stainless steel cookie sheet to cover) and bake for 45 minutes.
7. Allow at least 30 minutes to cool.
You can see here how well this stays together.
Shared on: Melt in your Mouth Mondays, Keep It Simple Mondays, Monday Mania, Mealtime Monday, My Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays,Gluten Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Keep It Real Thursdays, Full Plate Thursday, Tastetastic Thursday, Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday, Friday Food, Show Off Friday, Freaky Friday, Whole Foods Friday