I've been straight obsessed with cashews lately. I can't get enough. I've been using them in everything. What a fabulous little nut, wouldn't you agree (ahem, unless you're allergic that is). What prompted me to make my own cashew butter is the pricey jarred cashew butter I use to make Danielle's awesome bread (as seen in the pictures). I can get it pretty darn close, but I think you need a magic machine to yield the creaminess you'll find with Artisana. But it does the job and I love it. I wanted to share with you how easy it is to make it yourself. I make this in a high speed blender (Vitamix). I know for sure it will not become creamy in a food processor (trust me, I've tried). Cashew butter is delightfully creamy and mixed with honey it's quite divine. I hope you'll give it a try.
-2 cups room temperature raw organic cashews *
-1/2 teaspoon oil (or as needed)
1. Add the cashews to blender and start on low, allowing the cashews to turn into flour. Then turn it up a notch and use the tamper to keep things moving.
2. You will feel like the motor is going to burn out, but you're okay (and it's loud). Keep it moving.
3. I don't turn the blender on high during this process (you know, that left switch) - I just keep it turned up to about 10.
4. After it looks really well incorporated and starts getting creamy, add in the little bit of oil and continue blending. The oil just helps move things along in the final process. Add more as needed.
5. The cashew butter will be very warm the longer you blend. YOu might want to take a break if things are getting too hot. Use a silicone spatchula to scoop everything out. Don't worry about the little bit remaining between the blades, just make a smoothie and it will clean it right out.
6. You can store the cashew butter in an air tight container in the cupboard.
Cashew Honey Spread:
-1 tablespoon honey
-2 tablespoons cashew butter
-Mix until incorporated
*If you're not comfortable with 2 cups of cashews, start with 1, and after some practice, you can move up to 2 cups.
*The cashews must be room temperature!
*Add oil as needed. Don't burn out your motor...and PLEASE don't blame me if you do. :-)
Shared on: Melt in your Mouth Mondays, Keep It Simple Mondays, Monday Mania, Mealtime Monday, My Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesdays, Raw Foods Thursdays,